Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Daily Encouragement: Is the Bible boring you?


One of the basic fundamentals to living a life dedicated to Christ is spending time reading, studying, meditating and even memorizing scripture. Delving into the word helps us to know God better, to know Jesus better, and to know ourselves and others better. This is not just a book collected from writings of men over thousands of years, not just a history book or a good fiction read. This book has power!

"For the word of God is full of living power, it is sharper than the sharpest knife, cutting deep into our innermost thoughts and desires." (Hebrews 4:12)

So, does the Bible still seem boring to you, or you just don't have the time to sit down and read? You know, I've been through many times like that, been discouraged, uninterested, overwhelmed by life. I knew I should be "in the word," but I really didn't want to. This is not uncommon, but it is an issue that we cannot ignore.

The question is.....how does one overcome a lack of interest in studying the scriptures? In answer to that, I propose a three step process that should be repeated as often as you feel the apathy coming on:

1) One of the first things to do is ASK for God to give you a desire.

"Give me an eagerness for your decrees..." (Psalm 119:36)

Stop feeling guilty, and just ask Him. Do you think He doesn't want you to want to know more about Him and His ways? Pray for God's word to come alive for you.

2) Seize the moment and just do it. After you pray, open the Bible--act on what you've asked for and trust God to give you the desire as you read. Do not delay! Jump right in. You don't have to spend hours reading book after book--just get started.


3) Remember what reading and hearing God's word will do:

"Your decrees please me; they give me wise advice." (Psalm 119:24)

"I lie in the dust, completely discouraged; revive me by your word." (Psalm 119:25)

"I weep with grief; encourage me by your word." (Psalm 119:28)

"I meditate on your age-old laws, O Lord, they comfort me." (Psalm 119:52)

"I reflect at night on who you are, O Lord, and I obey your law because of this." (Psalm 119:55)

"All your commands are trustworthy." (Psalm 119:86)

"Forever, O Lord, your word stands firm in heaven."
(Psalm 119:89)

"As your words are taught, they give light; even the simple can understand them." (Psalm 119:130)

"For those who love your law have great peace and do not stumble." (Psalm 119:165)

And finally, when we have strayed, He will use His word to draw us back to Him:

"I have wandered away like a lost sheep; come and find me, for I have not forgotten your commands." (Psalm 119:176)


4) This one is optional: get involved with a Bible study group that can help keep you accountable to digging in and can give you encouragement as you share together the things God is revealing to you.

Precious sister, the reward for spending time in the word is so much greater than the time and effort you will need to "just do it." The more time you spend pouring over God's love letters and his life manual with the heart that asks "Lord, please help me see and hear what you have for me today," the more you will delight in coming to Him every day for your nourishment.

"People need more than bread for their life; they must feed on every word of God."
(Matthew 4:4)

No comments:

Post a Comment